You're JUST a nanny?

"So what do you do all day, play with paints?", "Do rich people just get you to look after their kids?", "You must just get to chill all day?", "Are the children really spoilt?", "Are you a nanny just whilst you finish school?"

NO. NO. NO. NO and NO.

Honestly, the amount of times I hear these questions drives me insane. People assume i'm uneducated (I am when it comes to animals and their habitats SORRY), a little bit simple and just sit on the floor all day whilst my nanny children swan delightfully around me, playing independently whilst occasionally asking for some water.
This is not true.

Is there any other job you would ask someone these questions about it?!

I spend time thinking about how to extend a child's learning, what they really engage with, how to widen their interest into new activities and improve their concentration, all the whilst ensuring they are constantly learning in their own way. I also rarely sit down for long periods of time. Amoungst SO many other things; I cook food, I change nappies, I manage behaviours, I manage risk, I source activities, I keep everything clean and tidy, I do nursery pick ups, I do washing, I give affection and emotional support, I do various day trips which are planned and timed, I go to classes, I arrange play dates, I answer constant questions, I always explain my actions and all whilst not really being able to let a child out of my sight,  go to the toilet alone and trying to remain super calm and be patient whilst never taking my eye off the ball.
Multi-tasking is also a must. Having worked a ski season, the struggle of trying to get four children kitted out in all their ski gear and up a slippery mountain before 9am, whilst one is screaming that they don't want to go, one is miles ahead shouting "COME ON" and the other two just keep sliding down the mountain after carefully trying to side shimmy up the mountain but ending back up at square one. It's tricky. Especially on months of broken sleep and carrying four lots of ski poles and skis. (I need a medal for that one.)
I suspect lots of SAH parents get asked in a not-so-obvious way (or a really obvious way if you're a total arsehole) what they do all day as it's 'only' being a parent and its easy.

It's. Not.

I have to be fair and say that when I was younger, there was a stigma around the type of person that stuided 'childcare' at college or school. Maybe people saw it as a bit of an easy to pass subject, that was aimed at teenagers who loved babies, or it was a subject aimed at those who weren't academic in their thinking or who got lower grades in their GCSE's. Hopefully, I like to think this has changed a bit, because there is a high amount of work that goes behind understanding child development stages and how to meet them, especially in nurseries or pre-schools. You also must have a strong work ethic, be observant and have the patience of a saint or you aren't going to be that desirable as an employee!


In my current role as a nanny, I hang out with both nannies and mums. Some people are quite shocked that i'm the nanny (which I take as a compliment!) and say nice things to me. Whereas I have had some random odd comments before, such as a class I went to which just wasn't really engaging my charge and therefore was getting restless. The lady who ran the class said to me at the end "Maybe he's missing Mummy" in a really condescending way, and made some further comments about my time there. I was actually really pissed off after, not only because I felt I dealt with that situation the best I could but because those comments made me feel really shitty, when I knew I had responded in the right way and completely appropriately to how my charge was behaving. I still remember them.
Funnily enough, we never went back to that class.

It's also really lovely when other people ask me advice on what they should do if they're having an issue with their own children. It's nice to feel respected by someone and that they think i'll know the answer. I sometimes offer little tips that might help such as if their child really plays up every time they are getting dressed (change your routine, give them choice, make them feel in control but be firm that they are still getting dressed!) - I have to be honest in saying that I have no real magical secrets, it's just working really bloody hard for a short period of time, being consistent, thinking ahead and being in tune with a child's needs, not their every want. What they are saying isn't always what they mean!.... (experience may have taught me a few little tricks!)

With all the negative comments aside, I am pretty smug about what I do for a living. I get to have fun every day and semi-manage myself, have someone that is always excited to see me, get a load of cuddles and get to teach a little person some really cool stuff. I also see results in how hard works pays off and that is awesome.

I have quite a few ideas for this blog, but would like to hear if there is anything you guys want me to talk about? Or any stories you have to tell me?! Also check out my previous couple of blogs if you haven't already :)

Find me on instagram @londonnannygram
or email me on londonnannygram@gmail.com

I seriously would love to hear from you!

J X



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#1 - How it all began....

Tips to survive the move to London

The nannying basics & rules I live by