Tips to survive the move to London

Apologies for not doing a blog for so long. I want to make sure I’m doing content that’s true to myself and I haven’t been feeling massively inspired recently, alongside being really busy in my personal and professional life! 
I thought I’d write a little blog about things I wish I’d knew when I first came to London or tips that really helped me settle in well. I’m well aware moving here isn’t for everyone, it can be overwhelming and it doesn’t always work out, but for me personally I love living here every day. I’ve created a life here and really think moving here with my best friend totally impacted my experience for the best. We still live together and have a positive friendship, supported by the fact we aren’t always in each other’s pockets and spend time working away/going to see our families, so it just works! 

So, here you are; 

CONNECT WITH PEOPLE YOU KNOW OR HAVE MUTUAL FRIENDS WITH WHO LIVE HERE
It’s likely they also are up for hanging out and getting to know you more if they’ve moved into London too. A friend of a friend I now hang out with regularly as a result of just messaging her and saying “hey, you live in London too!”  Making new friends (especially when you’re a lone worker) can take time, but it does happen if you put yourself out there a bit. I know there are some apps to help you connect with new friends which I’ve heard great things about. 

TIME OUT 
The magazine, which you collect from the people handing them out by the tube (I think on Tuesday!) or alternatively go to bookshops like Waterstones who may have them by the door! - you can also access it online which has loads of old and new info about London. It has great ideas of new openings and things to do if you really have no London knowledge 

CITYMAPPER 
The free app that tells you every way, to current time, to get anywhere in London and how much it costs. I use it every single day and it’s my best friend! 

KNOWING THE TUBE AND TUBE MAPS 
When I first moved here, I genuinely had no fucking clue what I was doing on the tube. My friend told me to meet her at Westfield Stratford, so of course I went halfway to White City and was really late and super confused.  Knowing what’s N,S,E & W has helped me to place what is where and context of what people are talking about. You can get the tube map app too which is free. It tends to be a bit slow but can be useful. It also took me over a year to learn that living below the river (South London) is similar pricing, but also has a lot less tube connections and mainly national rail, with e xceptions. You also learn which tubes are slow (northern line... district line) so tend to add extra time to your ETA! 
I’m yet to work out the circle line... 

LONDON SPOILS YOU, SO BE PREPARED TO GO BACK ‘HOME’ AND BE REALLY ANNOYED 
Seriously. Buses in Bristol (my home town) take ages, never come on time and cost more. It’s annoying. Food can’t be ordered at any time and Deliveroo isn’t massively available outside the London postcodes. First world problems but I genuinely forget that everywhere is a little bit slower than here!

INVEST IN A BIKE OR WALK AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! 
There are loads of cycle routes, boris bikes everywhere and three types of routes on Citymapper (I use the quiet routes!), it’s often quicker, cheaper and much better to deal with than rush hour tubes. (They can be intense, especially if people are feeling particularly sassy or rude) 
But please wear a helmet. There’s nothing more ridiculous than someone I see cycling in central London without a helmet. 

LISTEN TO WHAT LOCALS RECOMMEND 
Although Time Out gives me some great ideas, my hairdresser, work friends and people I meet give me great recommendations that I listen too and may not have known about otherwise. 
I’ve found some lovely little bars, comedy clubs and rooftop bars that I just wouldn’t have been too otherwise. 

SERIOUSLY CONSIDER YOUR RENT BUDGET
When I first moved here, I spent more than half my wages on rent and bills as I really wanted somewhere that was homely to me and I could make comfortable. I know this is totally a luxury here but it meant I didn’t feel as though I was living in chaos, with a full house of people and living a student life. I get super anxious about living space and knowing who’s in the house, and think big house shares would have been too much. I know some people, especially for the social aspect, it would really work for though! (Also - living near transport links is a good idea!)

DOING THINGS ALONE IS ACTUALLY FINE HERE
Don’t be scared to do yoga, go to the cinema or visit a museum alone. Loads of people do it and genuinely no one really cares! (Before I moved here, I was terrified of doing anything on my own incase I looked stupid, whereas now I’m so anonymous, it’s literally taken my anxiety away!) I rarely even think about it now!




I expect most of you know all this, but thought some of it may help someone! Moving here was a big step for me and I am so grateful for how everything has worked out and how quickly I adapted. 
I think being a nanny can restrict your social gains in work as you’re generally a sole worker, but I’ve got to recognise people and make some friends, but it took over a year to establish this. 
Trust me when I say London is not as scary as some people think & definitely not ‘risky’ or ‘dangerous’ in my opinion. I feel completely safe and still ensure I have my wits about me. If anyone has just moved here and wants to chat, feel free to message us - never feel alone! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#1 - How it all began....

The nannying basics & rules I live by